Liz wrote,

"Yesterday we found lots of blue numbered markers on posts near bridges,
all 4 digit, and a larger number of posts white with blue top which marked
culverts, with a larger number of digits."

Were all these on major highways?.   My current theory is that no
"side-street" bridges will have their numbers dislayed yet since not many
serious car crashes will occur there.

It does surprise me that they are placed on the entry point rather than the
exit since if a car crashes into the bridge it will likely take out this
stake, thus defeating its purpose.

One of the newer bridges in the ACT (number 3196 - railway street beard) has
a shiny new number plate in exact accordance with the RTA docos, so maybe
all bridges will end up with these. I wonder if they'll attract less (or
more) vandalism that the current ACT white plaques?