Well at the moment it isn't rendering correctly as there is no coastline
across the entrance.

Well to be tagged as natural=water it should be a body of standing water,
such as a lake or pond.

To be tagged as natural=bay it should be an area of water mostly surrounded
or otherwise demarcated by land. Bays generally have calmer waters than the
surrounding sea, due to the surrounding land blocking some waves and often
reducing winds. It can also be an inlet in a lake or pond.

I think it should be a bay or coastline.

If I am unsure I use the following source to decide, but others may have
different reasons to tag certain ways.

http://www.ga.gov.au/place-name/

It lists the feature code for Port Hacking as a bay.

http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/gazd01?rec=78217#

Regards,

Markus.