On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply, I seemed to have missed/overlooked this...
>
> On 12 October 2010 07:39, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know where Melway gets that info from, and if we can get it
> > too? Or do we just manually merge all these boundaries into the suburb
> > of the same name? Ultimately, we want suburb names, not statistical
> > divisions, surely...
>
> +1
>
> Most people most of the time don't tend to care to much for/about the
> ABS boundaries, I was doing a fair bit of work importing postcodes
> previously, however it might be better to trash most of the ABS data
> and import a new set when it comes out, obviously this would need to
> be done very carefully so as not to remove any useful information
> people may have added since.

I tend to agree - and I'm the one who imported the ABS sets ;-)

In the absence of better data they still provide a much better idea than
guessing a radius around a point, we just need to make sure that we are
clear that they are best guesstimates for the moment.

I think you are right about a re-import, we have learnt a bunch of things
since the first import which will hopefully make a fresh one better. I can
think of ways around most of the issues with a delete/rebuild - one issue
that doesn't jump out with a solution is how to minimise the amount of time
that no data exists and hence we have gone backwards a bit.

cheers

Franc