----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Watson" <peter.bmwk7...@gmail.com>
To: <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:40 AM
Subject: [talk-au] waterway=coastline

Hi Everyone,
I have noticed that all the Gold Coast canals are taged with
waterway=coastline. I understand that the coastline should connect around
the coastline in an unbroken line. ie. should connect across the river where
it meets the sea. I understand the canals should be done with tag
waterway=riverbank probably as relations. Is this correct?
Thanks
Peter Watson

Peter

I assume you are referring to areas such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-28.01742&lon=153.41865&zoom=16

Since I created many of the canals in this area, and tagged them as waterway = coastline here are my thoughts.

Coastline nodes and ways were originally imported using PGS data. This had relatively poor resolution and the result back in 2007 was a mess.

Using yahoo imagery I tidied up the location of the ways, tracing them as best I could. At that time it was easiest to maintain the natural=coastline tag on these ways as it preserved an unbroken run of coastline as I edited.

I never changed these to waterway = riverbank tagging. In part that was due to:

a) My intention was to get the map looking right. I was fixing errors identified by the coastline error checker, and once the errors were fixed I didn't bother to think about the tagging. I was after all running imports on other parts of the globe, and trying to fix errors there as well.

b) Back in 2007 there was less consensus than there is today about which ways should be tagged as natural = coastline.

For what its worth, if today I were tagging the area I referred to above, I would use of waterway = riverbank on the majority of these canals.

David