----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Last" <ben.l...@nearmap.com> To: "David Groom" <revi...@pacific-rim.net>; "OSM Australian Talk List" <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>; "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-t...@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Statement from nearmap.com regarding submission of derived works from PhotoMaps to OpenStreetMap

On 15 June 2011 19:52, David Groom <revi...@pacific-rim.net> wrote:

sorry to be pedantic, but when you say "the second paragraph allows edits
submitted before the 17th of June 2011 under CC-BY-SA (i.e., by someone who
hadn't accepted the new CTs
at the time of submission) ..... to stay in the database", do you mean it is OK for someone who in the past has made edits based on Nearmap imagery, (and who has not yet agreed to the CT's because they had used Nearmap) , to
now agree to the CT's without being in breach of Nearmaps T & C's?

I know this may seem like splitting hairs, but there is a difference
between "allowing edits to remain in the database" which is something OSM
sysadmins have control over, and "allowing users to agree to the CT's" which is something individual OSM users have control over, and I'm just trying to
understand , as someone who has used Nearmap, but not agreed to the CT's,
where I stand.

Pedantic is ok, this was written by lawyers!

The second paragraph was drafted specifically to allow any NearMap-derived
edits made up to the 17th of June to stay in the OSM database.  As I
understand it, this statement allows a user to sign up to the new CTs
without violating our licence in respect of those edits.

Regards
Ben

Ben

many thanks for the quick, and clear,  response.

Regards

David