On 02/09/11 10:16, Ian Sergeant wrote:
Hi,

I'm pretty sure mapnik doesn't render highway=ford on a way.  It is
probably for the best that it doesn't, IMO.

See

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7510#p7510 and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stylesheet for information on what is
included in the stylesheets.

And

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2944

for a trac item about rendering fords.

And the wiki for the discussion on tagging fords at the expense of the
type of the underlying highway.

Thanks for that info. I'm still puzzled as to what you mean by "tagging fords at the expense of the type of the underlying highway". I actually hope I'm not missing something obvious.

I did have that way tagged as highway=unclassified and ford=yes, but the OSM wiki wording suggests that's for places which just might get wet. The ford I'm concerned with is long, is the river bed of the Shoalhaven River, and is always submerged. So the wiki is adamant it's highway=ford.

Have I missed some alternative way of having OSM show that the road at the river is a through road, and doesn't just stop at either side?

John H