On 7 September 2011 16:31, Ian Sergeant <ina...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Princes Highway is an historical curiosity, and internal name management
> name assigned by the NSW roads authority, and the name of a bunch of roads
> between Sydney and Adelaide.
>
> It isn't a route any longer.

It's still a series of non-contiguous sections that is named, these
sections belong as part of a route.

> I'm sure people say they are going to drive the Princes Highway from Sydney
> to Melbourne, but you can never pin it down to actual set of roads.  They
> just mean they are driving down the coast, as opposed to the Hume.  It is a
> useful turn of phrase, but it is a mapping anachronism.

The majority of the route, distance wise, would still exist as it has
for a long time.

> As I said, I'll leave it be, but the chance that this will be developed into
> something meaningful, is zip.

That's a very subjective thing to say, you claim it has no value,
others have obviously disagreed, the main thing to take into account
is what actual harm does it do to the map to exist as a relation, I
say none, so far your suggested examples of harm are imho wrong also
since the way should take precedence over any relation, this way you
can give streets local names and the route sharing the same physical
way can be shown where there no longer is a local route needing to be
shown.