On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Sam Couter <s...@couter.id.au> wrote:

> Peter Watson <peter.bmwk7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a fairly narrow view on what a residential road is in Aust. 1. Is
> in a
> > built up area or suburb, 2. Has 50km/h or less speed limit. 3. Has house
> blocks
> > on at least one side. I find so many roads in the maps which are out of
> town,
> > have acre blocks or farms on them and have been tagged by the maxspeed
> bot as
> > 50km/h because they have been tagged residential. These roads often have
> > speedlimits of 60 or higher. I think these should be tagged
> unclassified. What
> > do other mappers think.
>
> Many urban residential roads have speed limits of 60 or maybe 70km/h. I
> think
> rural roads with moderately dense residential acre blocks and 80km/h speed
> limits are still residential, unless they're also the main route to a
> neighbouring town, in which case they're tertiary.
> --
> Sam Couter         |  mailto:s...@couter.id.au
> OpenPGP fingerprint:  A46B 9BB5 3148 7BEA 1F05  5BD5 8530 03AE DE89 C75C
>
> I live on a "residential street" that has a 60km/h speed limit and so this
street is not tagged as a residential street. It is used as at short cut
for people in ajoining suburbs. Also in industrial areas the speed limit is
generally 60Km/h so I don't think they fit the bill. I partly came to this
view because rural roads were being wrongly tagged with 50km/h speed limits
which they rarely are. I have been looking around my suburb but there are
no 50km/h signs either so can be tricky to know, especially if tracing.
Peter W