On 22/02/12 21:07, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> But not necessarily scans of the maps (which can be their own original
> piece of work), and which at least the state library and national library
> generally impose their own copyright on.

In the US at least the Wikimedia Foundation says...

The official position taken by the Wikimedia Foundation is that
"faithful reproductions of two-dimensional public domain works of art
are public domain, and that claims to the contrary represent an assault
on the very concept of a public domain". For details, see Commons:When
to use the PD-Art tag.
This photographic reproduction is therefore also considered to be in the
public domain.
Please be aware that depending on local laws, re-use of this content may
be prohibited or restricted in your jurisdiction. See Commons:Reuse of
PD-Art photographs.

I would like to know if this applies to Australia too. Probably not as
per http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reuse_of_PD-Art_photographs#UK

I just wish I had looked into this more or at least this was raised when
I asked the list previously about the work I did extracting data from
government maps >50yrs old but only scanned recently.