I've recently moved back to Lake Macquarie after some years in Canberra,
and I'm delighted to find that there are more cycle paths around the
central coast and Lake Macquarie than I was previously aware of.
Unfortunately many of them are either incomplete or disconnected from each
other.

I am wanting to scout out optimal on-road routes to connect cycle paths
into excellent recreational routes.  For instance the recently opened
Fernleigh (Rail trail) Track ends in Belmont, and just a few kms away there
is a great path around Green Point.  I want to tag a route (probably as
"lcn") through the streets of Belmont so that viewers can see how best to
join these rides together.  To my knowledge there is no official
council-endorsed cycle route.

I recognise some people may have a philosophical aversion to this, because
it is tagging based on usefulness rather than on what is "actually on the
ground".  I feel, however, that we have an opportunity to scout out optimal
connections and start using them for cycling now, while we lobby councils
to make such routes "official".  I would choose a tagging scheme along the
lines of "network=lcn" with "status=unofficial" or something so that these
routes could be located by a search algorithm if needed.

I've spent a while looking around the web, and there are no decent cycling
maps of the region to be found.  OSM and OpenCycleMap would be a superb
resource if we took the liberty of tagging "desired routes" such as I have
outlined.

How do you feel about this suggestion?

- Lachlan