On 25/07/12 16:07, Adrian Plaskitt wrote:
Greetings all. I usually confine my mapping to bush tracks and cycle
 paths as this is what I am most interested in and is often not
available from other sources. With the recent devastation of the base
map I am remapping some of my local area, and rapidly realising how
little I really understand, so forgive this basic question. I also
find the wiki very hard to practically understand as it assumes a
level of knowledge that is beyond me.

I am interested in mapping/remapping the walking route the great
north walk, which is an established relation. My specific question
is, when the route passes down only part of a way, say just a few
blocks of a longer street, how do you assign the relation to just a
few internodes. Is it necessary to split the ways at the nodes and
then just assign the relation to the segments between, or is it
necessary to create a new way over the top which is just the walking
route, or is there some method that is simpler that I have failed to
appreciate.

I am only able to use the potlach editor.

Yes, split the way as required, and add only the relevant sections to
the relation.

John