Hi guys,

Not sure if this will be of any help - but it can't hurt, right?

I've recently used Quantum GIS (QGIS) to create a region about my GPS routes so
as to capture the fuel stops (for example, within 10km of my chosen path).  I
would think if someone could establish the coastline as a perimeter, then it
could be generated by the same means.

I'm not sure what distance the territorial waters go to, but undoubtedly
there's somebody more knowledgable than myself on this forum.  QGIS can read
OSM files, although I should think it easier to use .shp if available.  Perhaps
even start with one of the less detailed datasets available freely (ie. smaller
scale) in order to get the information out there (presumably the boundary is
more important with some inaccuracies than not existing at all - otherwise we
become a part of N.Z.!!!).

Anyway, I'd be happy to collaborate on this if you think it will help.

Cheers,
Paul.