From: Ian Sergeant-2 [via GIS] [mailto:ml-node+s19327n5724084...@n5.nabble.com]
Sent: Friday, 7 September 2012 9:17 AM
To: Wyatt, Phil (Parks)
Subject: Re: Bulk up load of data from Tasmanian Parks

On 6 September 2012 19:59, tastrax <[hidden
email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5724084&i=0>> wrote:

> I am the Parks employee that Brett is talking about. I am confident I can
> get the required permissions but I am also keen to do some other "bulk"
> updates from privately held data. I am particularly keen to get from someone
> an example of a shape file that has multiple OSM tags within the data
> structure so I can format some of this private data for quick cut/paste
> operations in OSM

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the question fully.

OSM directly allows you to upload GPX data.  It stores the tracks, and
they can be used as reference in Potlatch (the "online" OSM editor) or
JOSM (the offline one).

GPSBabel understands OSM files, and can convert them.  To get a sample
of what OSM looks like, you can simply download (export) an area
directly from the website.  Or from one of the many sites that exports
for specific geographical areas.  GPSBabel has limited support for
shapefiles, however - depends on the geometry.

JOSM (the offline OSM editor) supports loading GPX files and KML files
directly, and these can be loaded as a layer.  GPX files can be
simplifed and cut/pasted directly into a separate OSM layer - it is a
very powerful technique to cut and paste geodata into OSM while
reviewing, tagging, and removing outlying points.

Ian.

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by
legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any
disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you
have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office
by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable
arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return
at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the
information contained in this transmission.