On 12/09/2012, at 2:45 AM, Richard Weait wrote:

Individual OSM contributors have approached dozens (or perhaps
hundreds, now) of governments from tiny to big and found success.
They've also found some regressive governments, but hey, we won't know
until we try.  Good luck.

I've been wanting to contact my own local government about OSM-related matters, but what to say about the license?

Do I tell them it's CC-BY-SA, only to cause them confusion when it changes... or make me look like an idiot when they visit the website in the next X days and see that it is something different... or confuse them by saying "it's CC-BY-SA right now, but it's going to change to ODbL at some unknown point..."

Hence I've delayed a lot of such communication (for MONTHS now).

Another example - I have a friend doing tertiary studies who had to use content from the internet and explain in his assignment why it was not breaching copyright law to use it. I initially thought OSM would be great for such an assignment, but then reconsidered because he may claim in the assignment that the data is CC-BY-SA, but if/when the teacher goes to check it all out -- for all we know by then it will have changed to ODbL... then he's marked down as a result of giving inaccurate information.

These are real practical uncertainties of this license limbo period. Hopefully we can move ahead with certainty very soon.

BJ