Hi Michael, Nicely documented.  Much of the process (on the OSM side at least)
is beyond my current experience, but interesting nonetheless.  Thanks for
sharing. As for the alternative process you mention, would the joining of line
segments be done in OSM/JOSM/etc, or elsewhere (such as QGIS)?  If the latter,
then perhaps just process in QGIS as you have to date?  I don't know if it will
be of any assistance, but here is an article I bookmarked some months back when
I was joining lines in QGIS to generate ocean polygons for my custom GPS maps
(it utilises GRASS):http://spatialguru.com/line_to_polygons_grass_in_qgis Hope
it helps.  Cheers,Paul.