On 24/09/12 05:50, John Henderson wrote:
But I see it operates only for straight lines.

I was hoping it'd average GPS traces downloaded from OSM in JOSM around
corners and curves.  That would be a big ask, I know.

Yep -- that's next! Shouldn't be too hard to implement the TopoFusion algorithm linked to from here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Average_tracks (famous last words!)

With my crappy phone GPS at least, though, the result would still be a lot worse than you'd get tracing from well-aligned high-res imagery. I suppose if nothing else though it could be a less fiddly way of creating something to try to align the imagery too.

Sigh -- this OSM thing would be so much easier if we had perfect positioning (or even WAAS).

Russell