On 21/10/12 13:40, Paul HAYDON wrote:

It occurs to me there's at least one other case which warrants
tagging the lanes - a two-way road (or section thereof) having only
a single lane.   I.E. when there are LESS than one in each
direction, making passing difficult or unsafe at normal speeds.

Any thoughts?

I reckon that's quite legitimate if two cars can't pass.  Exceptional
conditions should be flagged as appropriate.

But I wouldn't think a road simply too narrow for two caravans to pass
should automatically get the lanes=1 treatment.  Caravaners are
especially aware of the need to drive to the prevailing conditions, as
are truck drivers.

The width or est_width tags from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features are more appropriate in
most such circumstances.