On 21/10/12 13:28, dban...@internode.on.net wrote:
OK, I'm interested in what you say about lanes= John (and the rest
too!)

I  use lanes=1 to indicate that a road is generally only wide enough
for one car, if one approaches traveling in the other direction, both
need to slow a little and pull of to the side. Similarly for
overtaking. Thats actually a pretty important factoid, lots of
caravaners for example would studiously avoid such a road.

That's especially important if pulling off the road is also impossible.
I can think of cases where roads cut into mountainsides have short
sections too narrow for two cars, and have a drop on one side and a rock
face on the other.

Don't forget the established use of tagging a way as
"access:caravan=unsuitable"

John