Hi,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Li Xia <lisxia1...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> 1. Can anyone suggest tags other than the following?
> name:<different>
> place:locality
> source: © Commonwealth of Australia (GeoScience Australia) 2006.
>
> 2. Using JOSM at the moment and uploads take a while, is there a better
> way of bulk uploading data?
>

> </SNIP>

Some questions for you:
1) Can you post a link to the source data and licence?
2) that copyright tag looks ominous, are you sure it's licenced
appropriately for import to OSM?
a) The site http://ga.gov.au has a footer that says:
"Unless otherwise noted, all Geoscience Australia material on this website
is licensed
under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence."
I believe this may not compatible with OSM...
b) ...Unless you got the data from http://data.gov.au/ for which
OSM has obtained rights to import
3) Tagging - why only place: locality, and not place:city/hamlet/town
mappings?
a) GA name data appears to also other place types such as Mountains/hills
that could
be useful see http://www.ga.gov.au/place-name/
4) Using String compare to deduplicate names is probably insufficient -
there should be
a manual check as well due to potential local-use/mis-spellings in OSM data
vs approved
names - can you share your de-duplication code?
5) Have you read http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines ?

Chris