On 6 December 2012 08:49, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Generally the case, but not always.  My bicycle sign on Parramatta road
>> being my best example so I'm sticking with it.  A cycle route down a narrow
>> three lane road, carrying trucks who'd soon as take you out as look at
>> you....
>>

>> Well, I guess I'm focussed on being alive when I get to B.
>>

> These use cases are handled by routing software making good use of data
> such as cycleway=lane. Using the lcn/rcn tagging system to mark
> safety/suitability is simply incorrect. In your example, there's a signed
> bicycle route - so we map it. To do otherwise would be like not mapping a
> car park because we don't think people should park there, or not mapping a
> school because we don't think it's a good one.

Hi Steve,

Yes!  we are overloading the cycle route to not simply mean this is a way
to get from A to B but also to mean a good way to cycle there.

So, yes, we are giving two meanings to the same tag.  Yours is simply
navigational, and mine assures a minimum level of amenity in urban areas.

I'd argue my use adds substantial value to a router.  Your use adds little
value over a pure shortest route algorithm.

Ian.