On 12/12/2012 7:30 AM, David wrote:

Looking at the wiki page you cite, it's clear that those definitions are intended as rules of thumb: "Populations of villages vary widely in different territories but will nearly always be less than 10,000 people, often a lot less."; "[Cities s]hhould normally have a population of at least 100,000 people and be larger than nearby towns." Normally, in densely populated areas, that is. Applying that cut off in Victoria would lead to only Melbourne and Geelong qualifying, with Bendigo and Ballarat just missing out.

Perhaps I should reassure people that I'm only correcting for errors flagged by Geofabrik OSMI in relation to Unusual Population Size errors, e.g
- Population too small for town
  - Nimbin NSW - 352
 - Narabeem WA - 469
-  Coral Bay WA - 190
- Population too small for city
- Glenno, Timor Leste, 8133
- Population too large for town
- Samarinda,  East Kalimantan, Indonesia 726223
- Tadotsu, Shikoku, Japan 426514

The discrepancies highlighted look large enough to fit with any country specific variation. Unfortunately the rules used by OSMI are proprietary but I think useful none the less.

Alex