On 01/06/13 14:32, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> On 1 June 2013 09:29, Michael James <m.ja...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>

>> There is a legal difference between a divided highway and a freeway in
>> Australia, so if it is not actually called a freeway/motorway via
>> signage then it really isn't one.
>>

> Firstly, I'm a little sceptical of there actually being a "legal"
> difference.   Can you point to a source that would make this clear?

The Australian road rules (on which each states rules are based) :-

RR 97 Road access signs
RR 177 Stopping on a freeway

There are also rules that reference these rules such as the exceptions
for a garbage truck stopping does not include an exception to RR 177

Any sign that has the following is considered a freeway :-

freeway
motorway
tollway
expressway