Hi all,
  I've been working on some old train lines and stations, mostly
around Victoria, and have finally settled on a tagging scheme, based
on what's popular in taginfo. The current tagging has been pretty
inconsistent, with lots of variations like "railway=station,
disused=yes", "railway=station, name=Foo (former)",
"railway:historic=station", "historic:railway=station",
"building=station"...

Thought I'd check whether anyone has any comments/disagreements:

Active stations (whether tourist, regional, commuter or freight):
railway=station

Disused/abandoned stations, with buildings present:
railway:historic=station

Abandoned, former station site, no buildings, little to see:
railway:historic=station_site

In all cases, the name of the station object should just be, eg, "Thompson".
Not: "Thompson (former)"
Not: "Thompson (disused)"
Not: "Thompson Railway Station"

In addition, a station building may be tagged as:
building=station

(But one of the above should also be present - either on the building
polygon or not.)

Active rail (commuter, freight, regional):
railway=rail

Tourist rail
railway=preserved

Disused, but tracks still present and conceivably services could return:
railway=disused

Tracks removed, or state is pretty far gone.
railway=abandoned

Thoughts?

To see where we're at, I've done a quick replica of this well known
rail map of Victoria:
http://i.imgur.com/ohXHwsk.png
http://emscycletours.site44.com/rail.html

Steve