Brett Russell wrote:
Ok the first step is getting the OSM data. I am aware that http://download.geofabrik.de/ provides .pbf files but for Australia it is 145MB. Bit much of a download for a mobile phone given that I am looking to update Tassie every week

So does anyone know where I will find a site to download a pdf format file for Tassie and more importantly how to do this.

I suspect that the sub-regions that got added at http://download.geofabrik.de/ got added because someone asked for them, so you could always try that!

Failing that someone who's not on a mobile phone connection would need to download the .pbf for Australia and then split it with Osmosis (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis). Given the shape of the state boundaries I'd have thought that simple lat/long based splitting would work, with only Vic/NSW/ACT being at all "complicated".

Cheers,
Andy