A simple example starting with my own house - how should residential
buildings be tagged?

The block they sit on is more of a land use concern, but the specific
buildings don't occupy the entire block - and seem like they should be
tagged "house".

Is this a correct way to go about things? The goal here would be to get
my local area updated with street numbers so generated addresses can
provide navigation to specific locations.

Would it be correct to trace the outline of the blocks, and label them
with the address and tag the land as "residential" use? Would this be
likely to accomplish the overall goal (provide street numbers for my area)?