Hi all

Just letting you know that I just spotted an issue on ID's GitHub that is
related to what is discussed here. Thought some could be interested.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2254

Cheers

On 14 October 2014 16:31, Alex Sims <a...@softgrow.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I've been populating addr:city with the thing in Australia we call the
> suburb. This seems to be supported by the definition on the wiki as this
> seems to say that the addr:* keys defines a postal address.
>
> I've been playing around with mkgmap to Garmin and whatever happens, the
> more addresses the better. I've been playing with Osmhunter, an IOS app
> which makes it fun, although a bit slow.
>
> Alex
>

> On 14/10/2014 11:10 AM, Ben Kelley wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> In OSM (for Australia), suburb=town, which is admin_level=9 for admin
> boundaries. We don't define the boundary of the wider metropolitan area.
>
> To be honest I'm not sure of the value in adding this to addresses. The
> location of the address (within admin boundaries) will determine this,
> along with any street related to the address.
>
> That is, it's probably better to let routing software infer the town,
> rather than re-enter it for every address.
>
>   - Ben Kelley.
>
> --
> Ben Kelley
> Sent from my Nexus 7
> On 14 Oct 2014 11:19, "David Bannon" <dban...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>

>> As far as routing engines go, my guess is City=Town=Suburb, they would
>> dump them all into one box and sort.
>>
>> But I confess I don't see them as interchangeable in other contexts.
>> Difficult question Nicholas !
>>
>> David
>>

>> On Mon, 2014-10-13 at 23:54 +0000, Nicholas G Lawrence wrote:
>> > When I use the in-browser editor iD, and create a building outline to
>> tag, it offers up addr:city as a tag, but not addr:suburb
>> >
>> > Of course, I can add a new tag addr:suburb easily enough, but it is a
>> couple more steps.
>> >
>> > So the path of least resistance is to populate the tag addr:city and
>> leave blank addr:suburb
>> >
>> > Personally, I am leaning towards addr:city = Coorparoo as it fits the
>> convention of addressing letters as you point out.
>> >
>> > But I'd like to adhere to the established convention in Australia.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Nick

If you want to encrypt your messages, here is my public OpenPGP
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy> key: 0x110BF48D
Learn how to protect your privacy there
<https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/>.