Hello, I am new to this group and have a question about pedestrian and
bicycle shared paths. I can't find anything in the archives.

In NSW, shared paths fall into two broad categories:

(1) Sidewalk footpaths that have been designated as shared paths. In urban
areas these often have poor continuity and high friction (i.e., high
pedestrian volumes, lots of street furniture or other obstructions,
inadequate width, abutting property entrances), e.g., the Victoria Road
shared path in Rozelle (http://bikesydney.org/new10/wp
-content/uploads/2011/01/BIKESydney_representation_of_City_West_Link_Cy-6.
jpg).

2) Purpose-built shared paths with good continuity, generous width and
minimal friction, e.g., M7 shared path (http://www.westlinkm7.com.au/
cmsAdmin/uploads/WestlinkM70210.jpg).

These two types of shared path offer quite different levels of
utility/comfort/speed to bicycle riders.

However, following the Australian Tagging Guidelines, these should be
tagged in exactly the same way (highway=cycleway, foot=designated). So how
can a bicycle routing algorithm take into account the differing levels of
utility/generalised cost?

In the US, I understand that (1) would be tagged highway=footway,bicycle=yes,
while (2) would be tagged highway=cycleway, foot=designated, making it
possible to distinguish between them.

Chris Standen