On 3/09/2015 1:35 PM, Chris wrote:
>* Hello, I am new to this group and have a question about pedestrian and
*>* bicycle shared paths. I can't find anything in the archives.
*>>* In NSW, shared paths fall into two broad categories:
*

You're confusing highway= and bicycle=yes / bicycle=designated which
relate to render hinting and the lawful uses with the physical
infrastructure.

bicycle=yes can be on stairs.  dirt.  It is a lawful right to use, ie:
the road related area extended from or towards a Shared Use Path sign,
Sep Path sign, Cycleway sign (bicycle only), council reserve / park
non-road related area (IANAL on that one) etc.

>* (1) Sidewalk footpaths that have been designated as shared paths. In *

Tag the material features and let routing software figure it out

width=0.6 or width=0.8 or width=1 or width=1.2

smoothness=excellent; good; intermediate; bad

surface=concrete etc.

maxspeed=50 ; 40 ; 10

maxspeed:advisory=10

maxspeed:practical=5;10;15

incline=up;down;15%;etc

traffic_calming=bollard;chicane

steps=yes

ramp:bicycle=no

I've noticed that people have a cultural habit of tagging
highway=footway for paths narrower than 1.5m constructed as footpaths
and later designated, whereas paths >=1.5m regardless tend to stay as
highway=cycleway when tagged.

thanks,
Sam.