On 24-Dec-16 04:40 PM, Andrew Davidson wrote:
On 23/12/16 09:50, cleary wrote:

I suggest a simple one-word change in the wiki so that Level 6
administrative boundaries in Australia would read "Local Government Area
Border (e.g Shire/Council)" replacing "Local Government Authority Border
(e.g Shire/Council)" clarifying that we map the area rather than the
form of administration in the area.

I completely agree with this proposed change. It will clarify exactly what is supposed to be represented by an admin_level 6 boundary.

In NSW the term "local government area" is used in a number of pieces of legislation because different rules apply if you are in a local government area than if you are not. As a result there is a clear and unambiguous definition of what is and what is not a local government area.

Err does this mean there are areas in NSW that have no 'local government area'? Or did you mean '/"local government area" is used in a number of pieces of legislation because different rules apply if you are in a local government area or another local government area/' ?

SA doesn't use the term in their legislation but there is a LGA areas dataset available from data.sa.gov.au that defines for each part of SA whether or not it is a local government area.

Hopefully this will stop the rather tedious debate about what exactly constitutes a local government authority.

Personally I would want to get away from the hair splitting and get back to mapping.