TL;DR summary:

I'm happy to use E.123 international format for phone numbers or local format if they are not able to be called from overseas.

On 6/9/17 21:07, Phil (The Geek) Wyatt wrote:
> I think this is the correct format is it not?
>

> +61 3 6109 4621

It depends. Like most things it gets complicated and boring very quickly. So strap yourself in... If you look at the wiki entry: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:phone

phone numbers can be in E.164, E.123, DIN5008, RFC3966, or NANP "format".

Turns out that E.164 and NANP are not formats rather they are standards for numbering plans. E.164 is for allocating international numbers and NANP for allocating numbers in North America.

RFC3966 is a standard for creating URIs of telephone numbers so they end up in the form tel:+1-201-555-0123 (and I doubt anyone has used this in OSM).

E.123 and DIN5008 (part of) define formats for writing down phone numbers. They both have a international and national format but the wiki doesn't say which one to use.

There is certainly a mixed bag in Tasmania (only checked nodes)

+61 (0)3 6220 7100

So this one is not OK (it's a way that some Germans and Austrians write international numbers but is not in E.123 or DIN5008)

+61 03 6239 3095

Not OK (extra zero in front of 3)

+61 3 6109 4621

OK (matches E.123 and DIN5008 international formats)

(03) 6424 6762

OK (E.123 national format)

+61363313968

OK (E.123 international doesn't need spaces. Not sure about DIN5008)

64282013

Not OK. E.164 number not in either national or international format

132050

1800 770 224

OK. These are not E.164 numbers (ie: can't call from overseas) but are in E.123 and DIN5008 local format.