On 24/05/18 08:32, Ian Steer wrote:

Hi,

Lately a mapper has been adding heaps of fords in SE QLD bushland along
with more creeks/streams, however I've noticed quite a lot of the fords
aren't actually fords based on my local knowledge of the area. I tried
commenting on a changeset (https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/58540304)
2 weeks ago and again a week ago without a response, they have been active
in that time and appear to be a long time contributor, but I'm now at a
loss on how to contact them.

My question isn't about what they've been doing, but about the fact I've
not wanted to split ways and try to line up a tiny culvert or bridge when
they are physically so small, however because they haven't been mapped
someone is now incorrectly added fords. Many of the culverts are just a
small pipe (sometimes as small as 20mm diameter and 0.5m long) with dirt
over it to keep the trail dry (the trail is usually built up a little in
the low lying area), and many of the bridges are only a metre long timber
bridge especially those added for MTB.

The wiki states that bridge=* and tunnel=* should not be used on nodes, so
I've not used them and in the past only mapped fords (many which have big
sized gravel or stepping stones) and obviously use a shared node.

I've read a bunch of discussion on this topic and agree that splitting ways
to model these is overkill as the tags on each way can get out of sync and
get in the way, but removing the incorrect fords and not putting something
in their place irks me. The wiki's comment about a ford: "You are both on
the highway and in the waterway, and not separated logically as a stream
under a bridge would be" makes complete sense, and I don't want shared
nodes for these cases even though many streams are intermittent.

Finally my question, why couldn't we map a culvert as a node of a waterway,
or a bridge as a node of a highway? The only other option I can think of is
to add a note to a node of highway/waterway describing what is there so
someone doesn't add a ford.

Thanks, Jono

I have been “guilty” of adding small fords and culverts on bush tracks because
JOSM gives me an error message if you have a waterway crossing a way without
some sort of bridge, Ford, etc - and I try to avoid doing edits and leaving
errors/warnings.

If the fords and culverts are real then there is no problem.

But adding things that are not there just to remove some error/warning is not
good. They should be left as errors//warnings.

Only when the crossing can be resolved into a ford or culvert should that
feature be added.
Otherwise an addition to solve an error/warning might be made that is wrong ...
there could be a bridge!