On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 22:41, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> It is possible for someone without any knowledge of Australia to
> participate in your challenge, log in, click the "upgrade tags" button
> without ever seeing *what* tags are being upgraded (or understanding
> why), and uploading the change.
>
> This kind of edit would clearly fall under the rules for mechanical
> edits and would have to be discussed in the community beforehand (i.e.
> the Australian community would have to agree what mechanical changes
> they want to apply to which objects). If anyone were to complain to DWG
> about such an edit, DWG would likely have to revert all edits made as
> part of this challenge for failing to follow the mechanical editing
> guidelines; while it is *possible* to actually inspect every "upgrade"
> iD is suggesting, it is equally possible to just hit the "upgrade"
> button without caring at all and you can't see from the outside how much
> diligence has been applied in committing a changeset.

Indeed I've noticed that some of the "upgrades" iD suggests are wrong, and
other "upgrades" deleted correct data someone carefully surveyed. So I
agree we should be careful in any MapRoulette challange that the
instructions indicate you should only upgrade what you have local knowledge
of and be sure to review the changes, instead of doing it blind to the
actual changes being done.

> There have already been instances where, even outside of a MapRoulette
> challenge, innocent newbie editors who just clicked "upgrade" and
> thought they were doing good, have been grilled by the community later
> ("why exactly did you change this tag on this object to this value"),
> leading to a bad experience on all sides involved.

> Therefore, please exercise utmost care when setting up any MapRoulette
> challenges or anything that incites user to mass-"upgrade" tags. It is
> entirely possible that once the community has a closer look at it, the
> tags will have to be "downgraded" again because whatever iD thought to
> be a good idea, is not actually a good idea in Australia.
>
> Do not blindly assume that what the iD editor suggests as an "upgrade"
> is actually an improvement.
>
> We are not saying that what you are doing is wrong, but it is definitely
> dangerous and should only be done with utmost care.

100% agreed on all your points. Thanks for taking the time to share this
message.