On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:58, Daniel Graus <dkgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently, the Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens were changed from
> leisure=garden to leisure=park. This change prompted some discussion (
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/73984430) but no firm conclusions
> really arose, with the gardens still being mapped as a park at this stage.
>

> As botanic gardens are a reasonably common feature of major Australian
> cities, I looked at other cases around Australia, and found that tagging on
> these areas is quite inconsistent, with some being tagged as gardens such
> as Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens, the Adelaide Botanic Gardens and (up
> until recently) Sydney’s Royal Botanic Gardens. Whereas, the Brisbane City
> Botanic Gardens, the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, and several others
> are mapped as parks.
>

> As the previously linked discussion highlighted, these spaces are quite
> diverse in their use and could easily be interpreted as parks, but at the
> same time, their design, function and general day to day use is
> considerably more horticulture/botany focused when compared to (as some
> examples) Hyde park in Sydney or the larger area of Kings Park in Perth.
>

> Additionally (also as discussed in the link), the tag
> garden:type=botanical descends in "tagging hierarchy" (whatever that is
> worth) from leisure=garden. The notion that this tag should be removed from
> a functional botanical garden or that it should sit alongside leisure=park
> doesn’t seem like it’s correct.
>

> Should all botanical gardens be changed to match one another? Is
> leisure=park or leisure=garden more correct in some/the majority/all of
> these cases?

One issue is this same tag leisure=garden is being used for both individual
gardens and the whole garden grounds. For example the "Royal Botanic
Gardens" in Sydney has a number of smaller named gardens like the "Rose
Garden", "Herb Garden" etc. Someone building an app for these gardens might
want to know which are the higher level gardens which probably have a
website, contact number, etc. and the individual gardens inside. Currently
you'd just need to guess based on the geometry being inside another.

The advantage of tagging as leisure=park is that you no longer have an
issue with the tag being used for two diferent things.

On the other hand if I'm building a map I might want to render a flower
icon for "gardens" and maybe a tree for a park. If we tag "Royal Botanic
Gardens" as a park, I can't distinguish these gardens from a regular park.

There's always going to be a fair amount of overlap, some gardens will have
open spaces for leisure more like a park like
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3744999#map=16/-33.8628/151.2169> and
some parks will have some small gardens as part of the park like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/19603604, where you draw the line is
always going to be uncertain.

I still think Royal Botanic Gardens is more a garden than a park, because
of the amount of work that goes on there towards maintaining the actual
gardens, this is it's primary function. The fact that you could use a
clearing to kick a ball around (more like a park) I think is a secondary
function.