I would like to confirm that the inclusion of qualifiers such as "closed" or
"freight only" in the name is NOT appropriate.

e.g.
railway=station
name = xxxxxx (closed)
 or
railway=station
name=xxxxxxx (freight only)

I understand both are inappropriate uses of the name tag and should not be used.

I think the first should be tagged as disused or abandoned such as
disused:railway=station
name=xxxxxxxx

and the second with
railway=yard
name=xxxxxxx

Is that generally agreed?

What about a former railway station that is now freight only. Can one combine
disused:railway=station and railway=yard on the one node or should there be
multiple nodes?