On 04/01/20 13:18, adam steer wrote:
Hi Andrew

In Vic these are only used as a last resort. Not sure if 'assembly point' translates to 'only come here if there are absolutely no other options, and this place might not be safe anyway'.

See: https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/neighbourhood-safer-places

There are also community fire refuges: https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/community-fire-refuges/

...my reading there is also 'try really hard not to come here, but if there's nothing else then turn up'.

I think generally they want people well away from the fire area, rather than close by. Hence the words used.

Could we add a 'place of last resort' tag?

Why? I think the description will tell the story.

Relief centres, eg: https://www.eastgippsland.vic.gov.au/Council/News_and_Media_Releases/Emergency_Relief_Centres
https://www.wangaratta.vic.gov.au/emergency/relief-and-recovery

...seem to be council operated...
I think those are places to go for food, clothing not for shelter from the fire. So not the same thing.

It seems that 'neighbourhood safer places' means something different across borders. Can anyone in emergency services comment?

Thanks,

Adam