The Microsoft Open Maps team did add a lot of road surfaces based on
machine learning a little while back. A lot of that was just adding
surface=paved on roads where most people would have assumed by default it
was paved, but still useful to have it explicitly set regardless. Though
you'd need to check the edit history, find where the surface was added and
see if the user was part of the Microsoft Open Maps team to know where it
came from.