Hello everyone, I’m Ian, I’m new to this group and pretty new to OSM. Being
stuck inside for the foreseeable future, I’m keen to do something useful.

I live on the Murray River and have noticed that many sections of the river
along the NSW-Vic border could benefit from some extra work. In lots of places,
the boundaries of the river, local government areas, reserves and tree cover
are all mapped differently, creating a mess of intertwining boundaries. I hope
I’m not offending anyone who has done great work on the river in the past.

I’ve got a lot of time on my hands and am happy to try to improve the mapping,
taking on small chunks at a time. (I imagine it’s an enormous job to do it
all.) However I realise that it would be easy to stuff up a lot of adjoining
relationships so am keen to solicit advice from this sage group.

Is this a task you think worthy of working on? Is it something that can be done
by a relative newby? (I worked as a research scientist for 25 years before I
retired, but not in spatial sciences, so I’m used to working accurately and
methodically on big projects). More to the point, if the task is worthwhile, is
it possible to invite a mentor or two to provide advice and feedback on
techniques and results before I make any big changes, so the results reach your
high standards?

Thanks very much for your interest, I look forward to your feedback. Best
wishes and stay healthy. Cheers Ian