On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 11:21, cleary <o...@97k.com> wrote:

> I looked at the Wiki. It is quite a while since I looked at the section on
> administrative boundaries. My recollection is that it used to have LGA as
> admin_level=6 and suburb as level 9 or 10.  I do not recall any discussion
> of inclusion of regions, districts and townsites nor any previous
> discussion in regard to changing the level of LGA.   The wiki includes a
> link to a downloadable example which is headed "Australian Boundary Tagging
> _ OSM" but with copyright attributed to Government of Western Australia.  I
> am not sure how the current content of wiki was arrived at.  My memory is
> not perfect so perhaps someone can remind me how the wiki content on
> administrative boundaries and the WA Government copyright document was
> reached.
>
> In NSW there are land districts defined in legislation with administrative
> boards etc so they could be included if we could get permission to use the
> source data (not included in current approval as far as I am aware) and
> there are probably equivalents in other jurisdictions. I think
> administrative boundaries must be sourced from government.   In NSW,  land
> districts are larger in area than local government areas (LGAs) but their
> influence and importance is (in my view) much less than LGAs - the Greater
> Sydney Local Land Services board has the majority of its membership
> appointed by the Minister for Agriculture and few Sydney residents would
> even know of its existence or role.  I'd want to put them at level 11,
> certainly not a higher level than the LGAs.  I do not think that a larger
> area automatically warrants a higher administrative level.
>
> I am open to changing and developing our guidelines. However some
> boundaries are not necessarily administrative  e.g. Eyre Peninsula (natural
> region),  Barossa Valley District (protected area), Illawarra Region, New
> England Region.  Some boundaries might be tourist labels or have local
> currency but would need to be mapped as something other than administrative.

Sorry I'm getting offtopic here...

I'm only familiar with NSW but for example we have a few non-administrative
regions/districts mapped

Illawarra https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876497 tagged as
place=region without an admin_level
Northern Beaches https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876483 tagged as
place=district without an admin_level
Lower North Shore https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876484 tagged as
place=district without an admin_level
Upper North Shore https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/11373192 tagged as
place=district without an admin_level
St George https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876480 tagged as
place=district without an admin_level
others could be added like The Shire, South Coast, Hunter Valley, Central
Coast, Hills District, Eastern Suburbs, Blue Mountains + regional
regions/districts.

I agree that these are not administrative boundaries so I'm fine with not
giving them an admin_level, and it's a fair argument that these are not
verifiable on the ground, but nonetheless they do exist and people refer to
them frequently in conversation.

In terms of the admin_level for LGA's I think if we have administrative
regions or not shouldn't really affect the admin_level value too much, I
think going with what most other countries use for