Hi John
I use  JOSM.  Any file format that I can bring in as a layer would be fine.   I can then select, copy and paste the tracings into an active layer for upload, checking as I go.  Certainly faster than tracing by hand. I am not sure when JOSM get chocked by file size, but say Perth or the South West of WA may be enough of a reduction.
Thanks