Hi Joe and Andrew, thanks again for the feedback. Andrew's post raised lots
of points which need to be addressed separately, but can I test your
patience by focusing on a key issue that was raised, which is how to
interpret access conditions on tracks that do not have an access tag.
Namely, these two comments:

JG: "I'd suggest the problem is with routers assuming that a missing access
tag should be interpreted as access=yes. If a common understanding was
reached that a missing access tag on a highway=track is *assumed* to imply
access=no until proven otherwise, then it seems the problem goes away?"

AH: "no access tags don't mean access=yes (public) it just means access
hasn't been set. "

Joe, when you talk about reaching consensus, I assume you mean consensus
among the Australian osm community, not the global osm community. Is that
right? The highway=track wiki states: "highway=track does not imply any
particular access=* value", and different countries have adopted different
positions on the issue, as described here (thanks for the link Andrew):
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions

In most countries that have reached consensus, the absence of an access tag
on tracks is implicitly taken to mean that access=yes for motorcars. This
includes Austria, Belarus, France, Finland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain,
Switzerland and the Ukraine. (Brazil, Germany, Iceland and Belgium have
partial/proposal variations on a yes approach). In contrast, two countries
went with access=no (Finland and Denmark). Many countries haven't reached
consensus, including Australia. Have I interpreted this correctly?

This message isn't meant to be part of any process for reaching a consensus
in Australia. That discussion needs to be approached far more deliberately
and inclusively. I'm trying to understand whether, to some degree, Andrew
and I have been talking past each other because we have different views on
this fundamental issue.

About 92% of tracks in Australia do not have an access tag (TagInfo
Australia), about 5% have access=private, 1% have yes and 1% have no. If I
understand things correctly (and this is the whole point of this email),
this means that:

- Strictly speaking, since no consensus has been reached in Australia, 1%
of tracks are known to be open to the public, 1% are known to be closed,
and access is considered to be unknown on 92% of mapped tracks.

- If the community accepted a default position of access=no (i.e. all
tracks without an access tag are implicitly assumed to be closed to public
vehicles), 1% of tracks are known to be open to the public, 1% are known to
be closed, and access is assumed to be closed on 92% of mapped tracks.

- If the community accepted a default position of access=yes (i.e. all
tracks without an access tag are implicitly assumed to be open to public
vehicles), 1% are known to be closed to the public, 1% are known to be
open, and access is assumed to be open on 92% of mapped tracks.

Have I got this right? If I have, then would this lead to the following
implications for tagging decisions?

- Under the current position of no consensus, a "maximilist" tagging
approach is required, and it's equally important to add access tags to all
tracks, whether open or closed on the ground.

- If the community accepted a default position of access=no (i.e. all
tracks without an access tag are implicitly assumed to be closed to public
vehicles), then it's most important to add access tags to all tracks that
we know are open on the ground (with evidence of course). It's less of a
priority (but still useful) to add tags on tracks where access is known to
be no/private/etc.

- If the community accepted a default position of access=yes, then it's
most important to add access tags to all the tracks that we know are
closed/restricted on the ground. It's less of a priority (but still useful)
to add tags on tracks where access is known to be open.

- Alternatively, as Andrew suggested, some editors may prefer to adopt the
maximilist approach (tag 'em all) regardless of what decisions we adopt,
because many data consumers (routers etc) may not be aware of, or have the
capacity or interest in basing their products on our consensus.

Thank you all for your tolerance, I'm keen to make sure I haven't
misunderstood any of these principles and their implications. Best wishes
Ian