Thanks Warin,

I maybe should have explained myself a bit better; I was actually referring to the ways leading into the roundabout, rather than the roundabout itself. :)

On 2021-11-15 20:38, Warin wrote:

On 15/11/21 6:18 pm, Dian Ågesson wrote:

Hello,

Quick question, as I'm not sure that there is an established consensus in Australia for this.

Where a way leading to a roundabout has a small traffic island, what is the preferred way to map? I have seen both the "traffic island as a node" approach (because they aren't really separate carriageways) and the "splitting ways" approach (because physical separation and more "detailed).

Specific examples: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/121203404/history <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/121203404/history> or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/603989993 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/603989993>

Is there a preferred approach, or does it not really matter? If splitting ways, are u-turns restrictions required?

Roundabouts are one way. So do ing a U turn by going the wrong way in the roundabout would be against the law. I'd think all roundabouts would be one way.

I have yet to see a 'no U turn' on them and they do make a good safer place to do a u turn if you do the correct thing.

There are very small roundabouts that have a specific tag ... basically these are a white painted circle on the road - they as so small that trucks and buses need to go over the centre ... those I'd only do as a node.