On Jan 3, 2022, at 7:47 PM, Andrew Davidson <thesw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 1:42 PM Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the interest of stirring up a hornets nest (jokes). I'd like to know what
>> could be said for tagging ways (streets/roads) with add:suburb (or
>> addr:county...) where the suburb (or other region/area) the road "belongs"
>> to can NOT be spatially determined (i.e. typically runs along or forms the
>> boundary of the suburb/area).
>>
>> I'll leave it at that (purposely open ended).
>
> The addr:* namespace is for recording physical addresses ie: along
> with a house number. What you are looking for is the is_in:*
> namespace.
>
> I will leave it up to the reader to figure out how useful this type of
> tagging is.

Mmmm, yeah, I consider is_in so close to being deprecated, especially with
Nominatim, that imo there is very little gained by this sort of tagging.  Can
you determine if Nominatim performance is satisfactory in the area you'd
propose to map like this?  This walks right up to the edge of (and maybe
crosses?) adding not-very-useful data (as we have geocoding and
reverse-geocoding strategies that work pretty well).