Hi Graeme,

Discord is a text and voice chat platform, like Slack, Skype, or other
platforms. "OpenStreetMap World" is the name of the server, although to my
knowledge it isn't "official" in any sense. (some other servers are listed
on the wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Discord). There's just
over 2,800 members on this server.

The oceania channel has conversations specific to mapping in Australia &
the Pacific, however due to a small number of members the conversation
focuses on Australia most of the time.

Anyone is welcome to join and participate; essentially it is more of a
real-time "how do I tag this", rather than reaching out to the mailing list
anytime there is confusion, as well as containing other conversation.
However it is *not *intended or designed to be a replacement of mailing
lists or anything, but just another communication channel where mappers can
communicate.

Cheers,
Luke