On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 19:39, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I were to design the ideal tag for Australia, it would be something
> like:
>
> technicality=0-3
>
> 0. Well formed, even surface (could almost walk it blindfolded).
> 1. Uneven surface, trip hazards from rocks, tree roots etc.
> 2. Large steps, long steps, may be slippery (wet, mossy or loose surface),
> likely need to use hands for balance, low or tight sections that you need
> to crouch
> 3. Short sections where you're almost pulling your whole body weight with
> your arms (with or without a hand rope). Highest level short of proper rock
> climbing.

Nicely thought out!

Would you also add in River Crossing, possibly as 3, pushing climbing up to
4?

> In the Australian context there's also probably remoteness measure, but
> these would be too subjective to tag on individual ways and probably could
> simply be a function of distance to nearest facilities.
>
> 0. urban bushwalks
> 1. not too remote, mostly day walks
> 2. remote or multiday walks

How about water? In an Oz context, heat / thirst is often a bigger problem
than cold, so would you have some form of tag for availability of water
resupply? (apart from just having rivers / streams mapped)

Thanks

Graeme