Yeah I tend to agree that sometimes the road is more appropriately tagged
based on it's hierarchy (eg. highway=service + service=parking_aisle,
highway=service + service=alley, etc) rather than living_street just
because it's signed as a shared zone.

For shared zone signs you should always add foot=designated +
motor_vehicle=designated (possibly bicycle=designated depending on the
sign) which reflect the shared and designated access modes.

I think the existing designation tag
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation is the most appropriate
in this case, so designation=shared_zone.

I think there is still a case for some highway=living_streets but agree
just because there is the sign doesn't mean it should always be
highway=living_street.

If there's no disagreement here then we can update the tagging guidelines.