Andrew Harvey wrote:
> Well your router would need to look up the specific default whether
> that's something in the routing engine configuration, pulled from
> the OSM wiki, or pulled from the Victoria state relation def:* tags.

With the best will in the world, that's not going to happen.

I can point you to a well-known bike routing app that has 75+ employees, was
backed by a government funding office to the tune of seven figures, and has an
install base of millions, and yet it still gets path access across the UK very
very wrong because (basically) it applies German defaults. So the idea that
every single router is going to write state-specific processing is unrealistic,
I'm afraid, whatever you think _should_ happen.

(Personally I do have a whole bunch of country, state and even county-specific
adaptions for cycle.travel's routing, but I'm very aware that I'm the outlier.
And I've never even heard of "def:*" tags.)

Richard