On Apr 10, 2022, at 5:53 PM, Dian Ågesson <m...@diacritic.xyz> wrote:
> Thanks Andrew,
>
> I'll make the adjustments to level 7 and 9 in the update guidelines as I
> prepare them.
>
> I can also add the Districts of the ACT in at Level 5 as well, although
> should it be documented for all states' counties?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_administrative_divisions_of_New_South_Wales
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastral_divisions_of_Victoria

Thank you Dian.

I'm not sure which "update guidelines" you are preparing, I'd love to see a
link to our wiki about these data, if that's what you mean (and when they are
ready, beyond your preparation and shared with the world, of course!)

You mention both administrative divisions and cadastral divisions.  The former
enter OSM while the latter do not.  Well, that's my understanding.  It may be
that ini Australia these do blur and it is simply "understood" that there are
"matches" between admin and cadastral "levels" of boundaries, so admin_level 5,
7 and 9 are appropriate for "certain things."  If I'm being noob-ish and
blurring what "everybody already knows," please excuse me, I'm not from around
there.  Maybe one way to say it is "called cadastral because of history, now de
facto and de jure administrative."  I really don't know.

I do want to make sure I'm looking at the right row in the table [1] about what
these numbers mean (or maybe look elsewhere...in our wiki?  something
AU-specific?):

For 5, I don't (our wiki doesn't) see anything specific noted
For 7, I see "District or Region Border (e.g Perthshire, Fitzroy, Canning,
Greater Sydney, Greater Melbourne, etc.)" and
For 9, I see "Locality Border (Suburbs or Towns) (ONLY where larger than ABS
boundary)"

Am I ship-shape here?  Where might I discover ACT Districts are admin_level=5?
Is there a wiki?  Thanks.

[1]
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#10_admin_level_values_for_specific_countries