Graeme:  You are possibly / likely correct about assumptions regarding size
(I'm not local, I haven't seen the devices, I don't know of any standardisation
/ competition-in-the-traffic-camera-marketplace you have in Oz).  However,
also, you might 'not' be correct about assumptions regarding size.  Please be
careful.

Speed cameras are notoriously "cat-and-mouse" about where they are, how legal
they might be in the jurisdiction, what technology is available / deployed, how
many decoys there might be (obvious or not), what sort of categorization based
upon visual elements of a box on a pole there might be....  Careful, is all I'm
sayin'.

Sometimes things are as they appear to be, sometimes a bit more care must be
taken.  Speed cameras are in the realm of "take a bit of care to get it right."