Welcome aboard Will,

There is no shortage of tasks to make a better Australian map in OSM. There
are plenty of map roulette challenges for updating addresses, fixing
deprecated tagging on features and fixing road tagging to name just a few.

https://maproulette.org/dashboard/

The community is also very grateful for folks 'in the know' who may be able
to source data in truly open formats that can be ingested into OSM using the
normal import procedures or via the RapID editor (for ESRI community layers)

https://github.com/facebookmicrosites/Open-Mapping-At-Facebook/wiki/Esri-Arc
GIS-FAQ

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Esri/ArcGIS_Datasets - as you can see
there are no layers from Australia.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines - import guidelines

If there is going to be concerted effort by Tom Tom then it might also pay
to have a read of the organised editing guidelines and maybe set up a wiki
page with some details of the company intentions (and maybe a list of OSM
editors that will be editing on behalf of Tom Tom.

We look forward to your edits and conversations in the mailing lists.

Cheers - Phil