On 13/2/23 13:25, Andrew Harvey wrote:
Echoing what cleary said about reliance on the DCS Base Map, it's not our goal to recreate their label format.

The labels they use look to be based on what is 'on the ground'. I don't think they have made the labels up.

The question of DCS being out of date, I know of one fire station that appears to be out of date since the fires. That is noted in the OSM data base but is still where it was and the same as the DCS. I have an idea of where it has gone but lack any proof let alone OSM usable proof.  On the other hand I have just marked a 'fire station' in OSM that has not been used for ~30 years as was:amenity=fire_station, it does not exist in the DCS Base Map. No map is free of 'errors' nor of being entirely 'up to date'.

In my opinion it's more important to have branch and ref tagged as it gives more flexibility to data consumers on how they choose to label it, eg. they could choose,

{branch} FS
{branch} Fire Station
{branch} Fire Station, {ref}
{operator} Station {ref}, {branch}

etc.
Agree that they could, but few will.

For the name I'd first go with any signage on the ground, but otherwise I think "Lane Cove Fire Station" works well.

I think the 'signage on the ground' is dictated by 'head office' so as to present some uniformity to the public. Much like any large organization these days.